** To apply, email a cover letter and resume to the address at the bottom of the post**
Location: Kalamazoo and/or Benton Harbor, MI
Reports To: Director of Client Services, Prevention
Travel Required: Statewide in Michigan
The purpose of the Prevention Specialist is to provide HIV outreach, testing and education for high-risk populations and to provide leadership through CARES programs.
- Provide effective HIV health education and risk reduction skills with persons who engage in high risk behavior through counseling, testing and referral sessions and/or through other prevention programs as determined by MDHHS, CARES and the CDC.
- Successfully complete and maintain the HIV Tester/Counselor certification process through MDCH.
- Recruit for and implement CARES programming through the state of Michigan
- Create relationships with service providers and stakeholders in the community
- Effectively achieve quarterly outcomes and report on progress
- Maintain a timely documentation and data entry
- Assist the Support Team in maintaining relationship with other resource providers, including agencies, organizations and professionals.
- Refer individuals to CARES programming based on individual need or interest.
- Be willing to work in a team atmosphere and assist other staff when needed
- Work on CARES larger strategic goals and participate in major CARES events: World AIDS Day, Dining Out for Life, etc…
- Must be willing to transport clients and drive statewide.
- Conduct self as a leader and a professional
- Previous social service experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to attract and retain volunteers
- Confidentiality – capable of maintaining the highest degree of confidentiality with regard to client and organizational information.
- Client Centered – capable of working with individuals to identify needs and priorities, and facilitate any positive change as a client defines that for themselves.
- Motivated – capable of taking the initiative and following a project through to completion. Capable of leading volunteer teams, as well as following and participating in the group process.
- Organized – capable of prioritizing needs, goals and objectives. Capable of following a logical path to achieve priorities. Capable of maintaining all required information/data for ease of access for staff and clients.
- Problem Solver – capable of thinking on the spot to resolve problem situations as they arise. Able to identify root causes, assess relevant information, identify a range of options, and make recommendations for resolution of problem situations.
- Non-biased – provide services to clients without judgment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of this position.
The mission of CARES is to minimize further transmission of HIV and to maximize the quality of life for all people affected by HIV.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
Dave Watt, Director of Client Services
629 Pioneer St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008